10 THINGS YOU SHOULD BE DOING TO YOUR HOME IN SPRING
March 18, 2014
We're all aware of the idea of Spring cleaning (whether or not we do it - we mean REALLY do it - is another story). If you're ready to delve in, we've got some tips for Spring cleaning, plus a few other Spring things you should be doing to your home. Ready to Spring forward?
1. Sell somethingWhen the weather gets warmer, it's time for a garage sale. Gather up all your unwanted stuff and put it out on the lawn. Might as well make some money for that old, ugly chair you're embarrassed to put in your living room.
2. Donate somethingTake everything that doesn't sell over to a local charity. Not only will you be doing a good deed for people in need, but your donation is also tax deductible.
3. Trash somethingIf you have large items that cannot be sold or donated, you don't have to live with them taking up all the space in your garage. Haul ‘em out. Many cities will schedule a large trash pickup one time a year, while others have sites where you can drop off for free. Check with your local city for options.
4. Clean somethingThe concept of spring cleaning isn't about your normal program of vacuuming and dusting. It's time to go deep. Move furniture and clean underneath and behind. Those are some world-class dust bunnies. Pull back the blinds and clean the windows. And while you're at it, clean the blinds. They're gross.
5. Scrub somethingIt's a good time to get to those things that need a little extra effort. That weird spot in the shower you've been watching grow? Zap it for good. Clean out your washing machine. Yes, they actually make washing machine cleaner. Irony is good, and so is a sparkling clean washing machine.
6. Organize somethingThe closets you've been ignoring? It's time. Really. Plan your attack and go for it. You never know what you'll find in there that you've been missing (or forgot about). And cleaning out your closets are also a great way to find items to sell and donate (see #1 and #2).Photo / The Container Store
7. Renew somethingThat ugly chair that didn't sell at your garage sale? Maybe you could pretty it up with some paint or fabric? With a little time and effort, you might actually create a new favorite piece.
8. Plant somethingSpring is the time to get your garden in gear. Flowers, bulbs, and certain veggies thrive in Spring. Urban Farmer has a great seed calendar, and see Huffington Post for vegetable planting ideas.
9. Update somethingPaint colors stuck in a decade-old funk? It's time for a fresh coat. Check out Benjamin Moore for the latest trends in paint colors.
10. Upgrade somethingMaybe it's just time to chuck it all and move. The Spring buying season is upon us, after all. If you are thinking of moving, remember that all the same rules apply for getting your home sale-ready as they do for getting Spring ready. So, basically, you're not going to be able to get around that whole shower scrubbing thing!
Written by Jaymi Naciri on Saturday, 08 March 2014 7:12 pm